Double Helical Gear
Customized Large Diameter Double Helical Gear
Double helical gears are a variation of helical gears in which two helical faces are placed next to each other with a gap separating them. Each face has identical but opposite helix angles. Employing a double-helical set of gears eliminates thrust loads and offers the possibility of even more significant tooth overlap and smoother operation. Double helical gears are commonly used in enclosed gear drives as helical gear.
Due to its advantages of high load capacity and stable transmission, double helical gears have been widely used in the power transmission of gas turbines, generators, prime movers, pumps, fans and compressors in ships and construction machinery.
As one of the leading double helical gear manufacturers, suppliers, and exporters of mechanical products, We offer double helical gear and many other products.Please get in touch with us for details.
Our custom gear manufacturing team members embrace a commitment to excellence in quality, customer satisfaction, and continuous improvement in our processes, products, and services. Embedded in our Business and Quality Management System are functions that provide the foundation for our commitment as we endeavor to exceed customer expectations. Our custom manufacturing supports our reputation for on-time deliveries, competitive pricing, and lead times to make your next project a success. We continue to enhance the lean manufacturing concepts to minimize waste and maximize delivery times and service. We are committed to improving the value stream and delivering the highest quality, most affordable custom gear products to our clients. We offer gear cutting services, especially for large applications. Services include hobbing, broaching, gear machining, shaping, and tooth grinding.
Advantages of double-helical gears:
- Double helical gears are similar to a worm gear, but the teeth are on two opposite sides of the gear, which provides a reduction ratio of 1:2.
- Double helical gears have very high load capacity and are suitable for heavy-duty applications.
- They have a large number of teeth, which helps reduce heat build-up. Hence they can last longer.
- They provide an increased reduction ratio in comparison to standard worms gears.
- Helical gears can be used with both parallel and non-parallel shafts.
- The tooth profile is more efficient than that of a worm gear.
- Double helical gears have fewer parts in comparison to worms gears.
- They produce low noise.
- Double helical gears are better at cutting curves compared to spur gears.
- Double helical gears are manufactured using two spiral-shaped surfaces on a single gear, making them more robust than the normal ones.
- Double helical gears are very smooth at gear operations.
- Double helical gears are simple and easy to use, making them economical for most applications.
- They are more efficient because they transfer power between the input and output shafts, providing a significant amount of power to the output shaft with less mechanical energy required at the input.
- They have a high-efficiency factor that is determined by their ratio, which is often significantly higher than other types of gear teeth (such as spur or bevel).
Disadvantages of double-helical gears:
- Double helical gears have higher manufacturing costs due to their complex design.
- Double helical gears do not allow as much rotation before coming into contact with another tooth as spur gears do, so they require a wider pitch and smaller diameter gear than spur gears to produce the same torque.
- It can be challenging to find a good source for the gears.
- The teeth on the gears are thinner than those on single helical gears, which makes them more susceptible to wear.
- There is a high possibility of gear breakage if the teeth are not lined up properly during installation.
- It is pretty expensive and complex to manufacture.
- It has a high level of friction compared to other types of gear.
- There are certain limitations on the design for Double Helical Gears, so they cannot be used in minimal applications.